Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Poem For Disruptive Students

I wrote this poem earlier this school year. I used this poem to teach students about analyzing poetry as well as theme and narration. They were really engaged in this lesson.

I SEE YOU

You make strange noises
OR You laugh at things
That are not funny
OR Maybe you FART
LOUD and SMELLY

Because your voice has
Been silenced
By 9, 10, or 11 years
Of the Public School Prison

And for some reason
You’ve gotten into your head
That you cannot be successful
That you’ll always be the one
Laughing, Throwing, Farting

And you think that
Laughing, Throwing, Farting
Is the only way that you can be
HEARD

BUT
I see you; I hear you
I see a Doctor, Lawyer
Teacher, Preacher,
Policeman, Fireman,
Husband, Father
Mother, Wife

I see You!
I hear You!

Note: I have a downloadable version of this poem with questions that focus on theme and narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment